Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Here we go...

So, the decision was made.  We were going to take the leap and start the process of IVF.  Dr. Seli and Dr. Martin all but guaranteed me that I could get pregnant through IVF so we were pretty optimistic at the start of the process.  While we made the decision in October 2008 we didn't actually start the process until January 2009...damn holidays!  But, on January 2, 2009 we made the drive at 7:30am to the Yale Fertility Clinic for my baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. 

The 7:30am drive had become quite familiar to me as I had done it probably 30 times prior to this day.  But, this day felt different.  Maybe it was because it was the new year...but I don't think so.  I think deep inside I knew that this was the start of something life-changing.  The 7:30am appointments had become routine at this point.  I went into the clinic, checked in, got my number, went around the corner and waited to be called...along with up to a dozen other women...depending on the day.  I remember always looking at the other women wondering where they were in their journey...for all I knew some of them could have been pregnant already and were having their levels checked (as is customary for the first trimester when you do fertility treatment).  Finally my number was called and I went in to see Sandra who is a miracle worker with a blood draw. 

After dozens of blood draws, my veins, which stunk to begin with were on their last legs.  But Sandra somehow always managed to get what she needed and this day was no exception.  From the blood draw I went into one of 6 ultrasound rooms and waited for my turn.  It was usually a fellow who did the ultrasounds...either Dr. Bromer or Dr. Martin.  I always hoped for Dr. Martin...he is an extraordinary physician.  Today, though I saw Dr.---I can't remember her name.  She was a 1st year fellow...but that didn't matter to me...all I wanted to hear was that everything looked fine and that we could move forward with the process.  Unfortunately, this was not the news I received.  Looking back, maybe that's why I don't remember her name.  Maybe I have blocked it from my memory.  Instead she told me that I had a large cyst on my right ovary and that we had to tend with that before moving on.  What!?!  Was she kidding me?  Was she wrong?  Maybe she doesn't know what she's doing!  Nope, she was right...there was a cyst and that cyst haunted me for the next 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment