Monday, January 31, 2011

2 years ago...

I suppose that the start of this blog is somewhat timely given that 2 years ago tomorrow is the day that we found out that I was pregnant.  It was Super Bowl Sunday and we were invited to assorted parties and gatherings but opted to stay home.  We knew that was the "big day" and I didn't want to be around people in case we were disappointed but I also didn't want the glow to give it away either!  So, we spent the day home together...the Super Bowl will never be the same for us!

So, how did we get from April 2008 to pregnant in February 2009???  Well, it was quite a journey and involved a lot of bloodwork, ultrasounds, needles, pills, and procedures.  I will not sugarcoat it...infertility treatment is not for the weak, faint, or weary.  It's complicated, painful, and requires immense amounts of patience.  But, when it works, all of that fades to black!

The approach that we took was to try each form of treatment from least invasive to most invasive for 2 cycles and then move on.  As I have said previously, we did not want this process to take over our lives.  We wanted to have a baby but were not going to let the process of having a baby negatively impact ourselves or our relationship along the way.  We wanted to move through it swiftly but responsibly and only hoped for one healthy baby in the end.  We weren't looking for a reality show, although we often joked about it, we just wanted one healthy baby.

After 6 months of trying less invasive methods we were not finding success and each month I was getting more and more frustrated.  I was finding myself resentful of those around me who were able to get pregnant on the first try.  I found myself judging perfect strangers for how I perceived them to be raising their children because they were curt with their son in the grocery store.  I found myself pulling away from those in my life who did have children and I knew that this is not the person who I wanted to become.  So, in October 2008 we made the choice to go all the way and start the process of IVF or in-vitro fertilization.  This was not an easy decision to come to.  I wrestled with whether we were tempting fate or asking for too much.  I struggled with the stance that the Catholic Chuch takes with regard to this approach.  I wondered if we would end up with more than we could handle (twins or triplets!).  But in the end we gave it a try and two years ago tomorrow we got the news that we had been hoping and praying for.  We were having a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment