Thursday, January 27, 2011

1998...

Eleven years before Maggie was born, while I was attending college in Upstate New York, long before I met my husband John, I knew that my road to mommyhood would not be an easy one.  After a ruptured ovarian cyst and ultrasounds showed many more, I was warned that a pregnancy would not come easily.

I remember at the time feeling incredibly sad but put it out of my mind after a few brief days.  After all, I was in college, no husband in sight, and no immediate plans for children.  I would worry about that when I needed to...and 1998 was not that time.

Fast forward to 2005...

On September 3, 2005 after dating for three years, John Kennedy finally proposed!  I wanted to be married before I was 30 and it looked like that was now a possibility.  We quickly set a date of September 22, 2007 and the planning began.  As we planned our wedding we also planned our future which, of course, would include a family.  We had both come from close-knit families, each of us with 2 siblings and had spent much of our dating life with my niece and nephew who only reinforced our desire to have children.

So as we looked forward to our wedding we also looked forward to the prospect of starting a family.  In the back of my mind I knew that there might be some bumps in the road but I secretly hoped that my body would cooperate and a baby would find its way to us the easy way. 

After 6 months of trying to conceive the good old fashioned way, we had both come to terms with the notion that we might need a little medical intervention.  I don't remember that being a tough decision to make...it just kinda' seemed like the next logical step.  I think whether spoken or unspoke there was an agreement between John and I that the baby making process was not going to take over our lives.  And so, after consulting with my OBGYN I got a referral to the Yale Fertility Center and so began our journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment